The Cradle
ISIS claims responsibility for attacks in Afghanistan’s Jalalabad
Taliban forces say they have intensified efforts to search for the perpetrators of the bomb attacks
By News Desk - September 20 2021
https://media.thecradle.co/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/20144455/fd8b50e9a86561be3c0b167ef853028d6fdbc5c4.webp

Taliban fighters inspect the site of a terror attack in Jalalabad. 18 September, 2021. (Photo credit: AFP)

ISIS militants have claimed responsibility for a series of bomb attacks in the city of Jalalabad in eastern Afghanistan.

“More than 35 Taliban militia members were killed or wounded, in a series of explosions,” the armed militant group said via a statement, referring to terror attacks that hit the capital of Nanjarhar province on 18 and 19 September.

According to local reports, at least seven people were killed and another 30 were injured in a series of explosions in Jalalabad, when four improvised explosive device (IED) blasts occurred, one of which allegedly targeted a Taliban convoy.

Among those killed or injured were women, children and security personnel.

The Deputy Minister of Information for the interim government, Zabihullah Mujahid, said on 20 September that Taliban forces have been conducting sweeps on the outskirts of Jalalabad, searching for those responsible for the attacks.

Since claiming victory over the US-backed Afghan government last month, Taliban officials have said they will fight ISIS on any front in order to defend peace and stability in  Afghanistan.

ISIS previously claimed responsibility for an attack at Kabul’s international airport on 26 August, during the chaotic withdrawal of US troops, which marked the end of the unsuccessful 20-year US war in Afghanistan. The attack left nearly 200 dead.