(Photo credit: NNN)
A bomb went off at a mosque in northern Afghanistan on 17 June, killing at least one worshipper and injuring seven others during Friday prayers, Afghan police said.
The blast took place in the northern Kunduz province of the country, at the Alif Birdi Mosque in the Imam Shahib district, where dozens of worshippers were killed last April during a similar mosque bombing.
The number of dead and wounded were confirmed by a medic from the province’s main hospital.
“The explosives were placed inside the mosque. The blast occurred when worshippers were offering Friday prayers,” a provincial police spokesman, Qari Obaidullah Abedi, told media.
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the bombing.
Since the chaotic US withdrawal from Afghanistan, the local branch of ISIS, known as ISIS-K, has stepped up its attacks on the Taliban and the Afghan society.
Their attacks have targeted Shias, particularly those of the ethnic Hazara minority in Afghanistan.
In October last year, a bomb blast hit the Imam Bargah Mosque in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, killing 32 and wounding 53.
Just days before this incident, over 100 worshippers were killed and wounded after a suicide bombing at a mosque in Kunduz that was carried out by a Uighur member of ISIS.
In May this year, over a dozen people were killed in a series of explosions in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul and the country’s northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif.
The number of bombings has declined in the country since the Taliban victory over US forces last August, but a series of bomb attacks, killing at least 10 people and wounding 20 others, hit the country in late April during the holy month of Ramadan.
Following their victory over the local but US-trained army in August, the Taliban pledged to stop the spread of terror groups within Afghanistan, with Minister of Information and Culture Zabihullah Mujahid referring to ISIS as a “headache” rather than a threat.