Ibrahim al-Nablusi at the funeral of two Palestinian fighters killed by Israeli forces in Nablus in the occupied West Bank on 24 July 2022. (Photo credit: Issam Rimawi)
Israeli troops launched a brutal raid in the West Bank city of Nablus on the morning of 9 August, killing three Palestinians and injuring at least 40 others.
Among the dead is the leader of the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, Ibrahim al-Nabulsi.
The Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades is a coalition of armed groups associated with the Palestinian Authority’s (PA) ruling Fatah party.
One of Tel Aviv’s most wanted men in the occupied West Bank, Al-Nabulsi was shot dead during an exchange of fire with the Israeli soldiers in the heart of Nablus’ old city.
This marked the third time this year that the Israeli army targeted Al-Nabulsi, who escaped deadly ambushes in July and February, boosting his reputation in the city as an elusive fighter.
According to the Israeli army, soldiers fired shoulder-launched missiles towards Al-Nabulsi’s home on Tuesday.
The Palestinian health ministry says that at least four of those injured are in critical condition. They also identified the other two dead as Islam Sabbouh and Hussein Jamal Taha.
According to Israeli media, one of these two victims was only 16 years old.
This latest raid brings the total number of Palestinians killed by Israeli troops in 2022 to 129, including 34 children.
Over the weekend, unprovoked Israeli airstrikes in the besieged Gaza Strip resulted in the deaths of 44 Palestinians, including at least 30 civilians, half of whom were children.
The interim Israeli prime minister said on 8 August that Tel Aviv will not apologize for civilian casualties.
Tel Aviv claims the unprovoked attacks sought “to prevent any retaliatory attacks” for the arrest of Bassam al-Saadi, a senior official from the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) political wing.
After three days of airstrikes and rocket attacks from the resistance, an Egypt-mediated ceasefire agreement was reached on 7 August.
The deal has been held so far. PIJ officials said, however, that the movement “reserves the right to respond to any Zionist aggression.”