US soldiers stand guard outside Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, Afghanistan.(Photo credit: WAKIL KOHSAR/AFP via Getty Images)
Aid workers who examined the bodies of many of the victims from the Kabul terror attack on 26 August claim that a majority of the victims bore bullet wounds that showed they were shot at from above as they were running away from the blast site.
“Some people say the victims were shot from behind by ISIS. However none of them were shot from behind. All bullet holes came from above,” the Afghan aid worker told local media, adding that “all victims were killed by American bullets except maybe 20.”
The death toll from last week’s terror stands at 170.
"Most victims of #KabulAirportBlast were not killed by the blast but by bullets fired at them by the Americans."
— Sangar | سنګر پیکار (@paykhar) August 28, 2021
(Original article as follows)
Reports coming out of Afghanistan claim that a significant number of the civilians killed outside Kabul’s Hamid Karzai International Airport on 26 August were shot by US troops during the chaos caused by a suicide bombing.
Eyewitnesses who survived the attack told the BBC on 27 August that after the blast, US and Turkish soldiers began firing into the crowd of civilians, causing an untold number of deaths.
Our report from last night on the awful ISIS attack outside Kabul airport as families still search Kabul's morgues for their loved ones..
Many we spoke to, including eyewitnesses, said significant numbers of those killed were shot dead by US forces in the panic after the blast pic.twitter.com/ac5nUVeJ4x
— Secunder Kermani (@SecKermani) August 28, 2021
One witness told the BBC that a civilian who worked for years as a collaborator of the US army was shot in the head and killed.
“The guy [had] served [the] US army for years. And the reason he lost his life – he wasn’t killed by the Taliban. He wasn’t killed by ISIS,” the witness said, adding that, apart from the bullet hole in his head, the victim had no injuries on his body.
Another witness said in broken English: “I saw American soldier and beside this there were Turkish soldiers. The fire come from the bridges, like the towers … from the soldiers.”
The LA Times correspondent in West Asia also reported on 28 August that a doctor in a Kabul hospital told him several of the bodies he saw from the blast had gunshot wounds.
Spoke to a doctor at one of #Kabul's hospitals who also said quite a few bodies had gunshot wounds. Overwatch would probably provide some info on this. If it were ever released. https://t.co/zaxIwkc8u5
— Nabih (@nabihbulos) August 28, 2021
When asked about these events during a news conference, Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said officials could neither confirm nor deny whether US troops had killed the civilians, but said that an investigation on the matter was underway.
At least 170 people lost their lives following the terror attack, including many women and children. An Islamic State (IS) group operating in Afghanistan claimed responsibility for the blast, which also left 13 US soldiers and 28 Taliban guards dead.
The blast came as Washington and its NATO allies scrambled to retreat from Afghanistan following their defeat at the hands of the Taliban. The chaos created by America’s haphazard withdrawal from the country had already left 12 people dead before Thursday’s blast.