(Photo credit: Twitter)
Israeli troops killed at least 10 Palestinians, including several civilians, on 22 February in the old city of Nablus during their latest raid of the occupied West Bank.
Among those killed are Adnan Sabaa Baara, 72, and Tamer Nimer Ahmed Minawi, 14.
Others include Al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigade commander Musab Awais, 26, and two Nablus commanders of the Gaza-based Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) and the Lions’ Den, Hussam Aslim, 24, and Muhammad Abu Bakr ‘Al Junaidi,’ 23.
The moment when the occupation forces shot two Palestinians in #Nablus. #IsraeliTerrorism pic.twitter.com/ReDFVGfs40
— EYE ON PALESTINE (@Palestinell) February 22, 2023
According to the Palestinian health ministry, the raid left over 100 injured due to gunfire and tear gas inhalation. Several remain in critical condition.
Three medical staff were among the injured.
Israeli troops stormed the Sheikh Muslim neighborhood of Nablus on Tuesday morning allegedly in search of the two PIJ resistance fighters – Aslim and Abu Bakr – who Tel Aviv blames for the killing of an Israeli soldier in October.
PIJ said the two Nablus commanders had been encircled in a house by Israeli troops and shot dead following their refusal to surrender.
BREAKING: Palestinian resistance fighters Husam Sleem and Mohammad Abu Baker were just shot dead by Israeli occupation forces in Nablus, according to media sources. This brings the death toll of the Israeli aggression on the city to 5. pic.twitter.com/SLesyj7k4E
— Quds News Network (@QudsNen) February 22, 2023
Armed clashes soon broke out between the resistance fighters and Israeli occupation forces. Videos shared on social media also show an Israeli army vehicle indiscriminately running over unarmed Palestinian youths.
An IOF military vehicle ran over unarmed youths during IOF's ongoing aggression on Nablus.
Strong clashes erupted between the resistance fighters and the occupation forces in the city pic.twitter.com/ev9Yq27mqp
— Ali (@resist4ever_) February 22, 2023
Local reports say Israeli forces blocked ambulances from reaching some of the wounded, as is standard practice during near-daily raids in the West Bank.
“We condemn the occupation’s raid into Nablus, and we call for an end to the continued attacks against our people,” said Nabil Abu Rudeineh, spokesperson for Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas.
Israel increased the frequency of its operations in the West Bank following the appointment of the new far-right government led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Last week, another 14-year-Palestinian boy was killed, and two other Palestinians were seriously wounded by live fire from Israeli forces that entered the city of Jenin.
In the same raid, Israeli forces arrested Jibril Zubeidi, brother of Palestinian resistance icon Zakaria Zubeidi who managed to escape from the high-security Gilboa prison alongside five other Palestinian inmates in 2021.
In response to the volatile situation, Palestinian resistance groups have also increased their retaliatory operations against Israel.