(Photo Credit: IHH/AP)
Turkish border guards reportedly “tortured” two Syrians to death, using “sharp and heavy” tools, according to a report published by Al-Modon.
The two deceased Syrians reportedly tried to cross the border on 12 March when they were attacked by two Turkish border guards. The report also states that the same guards beat up a group of youths, including a child.
Turkish border guards handed over a group of eight men to the authorities on Sunday, including the body of a young man with signs of being beaten, such as fractured bones, according to Mazen Alloush, public relations chief at the Bab al-Hawa crossing.
“We urge the Turkish government to open an immediate investigation to find out the circumstances of the incident, especially since this has happened repeatedly in recent times,” he said, referring to a similar case that happened in the same location.
The statement included the report of another murder of a Syrian man from the city of Harem whose body was disposed of by the Turkish border guards.
Moataz Khattab, an activist from Idlib, told Al-Modon that the young men were attacked with batons, metal rods, wooden sticks, hammers, and electrical wires.
The World Bank reports that 98.5 percent of Syrian refugees in Turkiye currently live in camps and face severe development issues, such as in education, housing, and employment.
The western NGO Human Rights Watch claimed in October 2022 that Turkish authorities “arbitrarily arrested, detained, and deported” hundreds of Syrian refugees.
According to the report, the Syrians were arrested in their homes, their work, and on the streets.
“In violation of international law, Turkish authorities have rounded up hundreds of Syrian refugees, even unaccompanied children, and forced them back to northern Syria,” said Nadia Hardman, refugee and migrant rights researcher at Human Rights Watch.
“Although Turkiye provided temporary protection to 3.6 million Syrian refugees, it now looks like Turkiye is trying to make northern Syria a refugee dumping ground,” she added.
On 3 May of last year, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that Turkiye was planning to return one million Syrian refugees to areas dominated by the Turkish Armed Forces in northern Syria by offering to build the infrastructure needed to resume their lives.
“We are preparing a project to ensure the voluntary return of one million of our Syrian brothers who we are hosting now,” the president said in a video message broadcast by the Turkish public broadcaster TRT.
The president made these remarks for the ceremony of handing over the keys to 57,000 houses built by Turkey for Syrian families in the Idlib area, southwest of Aleppo, which is still partially under the control of Islamist militias, according to the news agency EFE.