Israeli forces suppress peaceful demonstrations in Sheikh Jarrah and Nablus
Israeli crackdowns on protesters in Sheikh Jarrah have become increasingly violent
By News Desk - February 18 2022

Israeli occupation soldiers in Sheikh Jarrah.
(Photo credit: Al Mayadeen)

Palestinians staged a sizable rally on 18 February in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in protest of ongoing attacks by the occupation and its settlers on Palestinians.

Israeli forces, however, managed to take control over the crowds, moving them into the side streets.

Palestinians and solidarity activists from all around the country rushed to the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood to show support for its residents.

Palestinians from Um al-Fahm revealed to Al Mayadeen that they had come to assist the residents of the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood who are facing evictions from their homes.

Palestinians in Sheikh Jarrah marched towards the occupation’s military checkpoint, chanting their loyalty to their homeland, and then moved towards the mainline separating occupied West Jerusalem and East Jerusalem.

Residents of Sheikh Jarrah told Al Mayadeen that “widespread Palestinian support with us confirms that we are one blood and that freedom is on the way,” and that the march is “a message against Israel’s ethnic cleansing of Palestine.”

Activist Ahmed Khalifa told Al Mayadeen that the occupation wants to seal one of the most important entries into Al-Aqsa Mosque, and that happens to be the gate facing the Sheikh Jarrah area.

According to the Al Mayadeen correspondent in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood, “the occupation summoned border guards and brought a squad of cavalry to the sit-in place in the Sheikh Jarrah district,” and “the occupation is attempting to disperse the demonstrators by force.”

In Beita, south of Nablus, Palestine Red Crescent said that around 90 Palestinians, including four journalists, were injured during skirmishes with Israeli occupation forces on 18 February.

At least 57 persons were hurt after inhaling tear gas fired by Israeli occupation troops, and five others were hit by rubber bullets used by the occupation forces.

Similarly, on 18 February, Israeli soldiers repressed a weekly anti-settlement march in Qalqilya village.

Most Popular